People love videos on social networking sites : On Facebook alone, users watch 100 million hours of video worldwide every day. Explainer videos show how we install a dimmer switch or how artificial intelligence works. Other social videos entertain, stir emotions, encourage people to share and like content. Some last only a few seconds, others several minutes. As with all forms of presentation, it depends on what we want to achieve and which target group we are addressing.
Multimedia journalist Bernhard Lill shows which video formats exist on social media platforms and how we can design and use them effectively. During the practical exercise, participants will produce and post their own social videos.
09.45 - 10.00 Group check-in on Zoom
10.00 - 12.30 Live Online Course
- Short video formats?: teaser video, explainer video, GIF and Instagram Story
- Topics for short videos: from making of to commercials (with best practice examples)
- Little app lesson: which apps make production fast and efficient
14.00 - 17.00 Live Online Course
- Participants come up with a concept for a social video and start producing it
- Discussion of concepts and feedback
What you will learn
After this course the participants will be able to...
- assess the potential use of videos on social media platforms
- develop concepts and topics for video stories
- Shoot, edit and post social media videos
This course is recommended for...
Journalists and media professionals working in communications who want to engage their target groups and subscribers on social media with videos or anyone who wants to learn about formats.
Date: 24 August 2021
Place: online (Zoom meeting)
Fee: € 290
Trainer: Bernhard Lill
Freelance journalist and trainer
Bernhard has focussed on online journalism and on how to tell stories for websites, mobile devices and social media since 2009. Previously, he worked as an editor, a freelance reporter and producer for major broadcasting companies (BBC World Service, Radio Bremen and NDR) and also wrote for well known German print publications. At the Akademie, Bernhard teaches digtal storytelling, mobile video production, social media and SEO. www.digital-storytelling.eu